It’s important to have control over your baby’s environment so they don’t come into contact with anything dangerous. For a newborn, that can be lots of things. Learn how to use these popular items and accessories the safe way by following these simple steps.
- Never tie strings or clips to a pacifier, and make sure that any strings attached to toys are shorter than twelve inches.
- Pay attention to age warnings and recommendations, and avoid toys with small parts, sharp edges or pieces that could pinch.
- Don’t know if a toy is safe for your baby to play with? Test it with a choke tube or a toilet paper roll. If it fits inside, it’s too small. For more info, go here.
- Keep all batteries away from infants and children. For more on this, go here.
- You can always check for product recalls here.
- If an electrical cord is left dangling anywhere near a baby’s neck, it poses a big risk. Keep baby monitors and anything else with a cord three feet away from the crib, bassinet or play yard.
- Use cord shorteners or cord clips to keep extra slack away from babies. For more on this, go here.
- Make sure the cord is three feet away from wherever the baby sleeps and plays.
- Place the humidifier on a flat surface, out of the baby’s reach.
- Unplug the humidifier when you’re done, cover the outlet after you unplug it and pour any remaining water down the sink.
- Keep the humidifier clean and change the water daily.
Every day more than a dozen children are treated for accidentally swallowing or inhaling toys.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital